Thursday, November 13, 2008

Naptime

I just put Ella down for her nap and all I can say is...ahhhhh! Some days, even though I always look forward to my "alone time", I'm actually a little sad that my little buddy is gonna be sleeping for 3 hours. Not today.  I don't know what her deal was but it was like she just couldn't find enough things to get her in trouble!  She was going through all my bathroom drawers when I was in the shower, she wouldn't eat her oatmeal for breakfast so I got her some Honey Nut Cheerios and after eating a couple bites of those, she tosses the rest all over the place.  Then I had to run to the grocery store for a few things and you would have thought I was torturing her when I was trying to get her to sit down in the cart.  We come home and I look at the time and think, "Yes! Ella goes down for a nap in like 20 minutes!" So I hurry and make her a PB&J, applesauce and try to give her some juice (for some reason she doesn't like juice but I keep trying--she's got to get sick of milk and water some day!) Anyway, I turn around to make myself a quesadilla and her applesauce is poured onto her tray, her sandwich is stuffed into her cup of juice. On top of that, she's spreading the applesauce around her tray and all in her hair.  That's when I kind of lost it.  I had to just scream.  I felt bad cuz it scared her a little (but at least it didn't leave a bruise!)  Also, lately she's not really into the part where I wash her down with a washcloth at the end of the meal so of course there was a little fight there too.  Finally I gave up on getting all of the applesauce out of her hair and just changed her clothes and put her to bed with a couple of books. Normally I would have read her a couple of stories before putting her down but I just didn't have the patience today (plus, she kinda likes to just look at books in her bed as she's falling asleep.)
The funny thing is about all of this is that today isn't that out of the ordinary. I mean she's 21 months so it's not like she ever eats a meal without making a mess.  And she's a SUPER active child who doesn't like to be told what to do. I guess it's just that some days I have more tolerance and some days I just don't.  Anyway, I'd just like to say that it's on days like these where I am oh-so-grateful for nap time!

6 comments:

The Tufts said...

What? That sweet little face? No way. The problem with having such a cute kid is it's hard for any of us to believe she's trouble. But truly, I'm sorry it's been one of those mornings. And now to face a hard truth: Smart kids tend to start their 2's a little early. On the bright side, she is one smart girl!

Anonymous said...

Is it bad that I am TOTALLY cracking up over this?? Cuz I can just picture that little stinker being so funny and "pissing" you right off (sorry- I didn't know what other word to use). I think it is very smart sometimes to just put them down for a anp- applesauce in the hair or not- cuz the alternative may not be legal ;) Love you guys- can't wait to see you!!!!

Tristen said...

Nap time is God's gift to mommies! It's the only time of day where you can actually think with some clarity. I love that you screamed at her - I'm with Lindsay, I think it's hilarious (maybe because I do it too much, so it's funny to see others do it too!). BTW I love Ella's Halloween costume! Go Utes! Adam would be proud! We miss you guys.

Eliza said...

Ummm...I can TOTALLY relate. LOL. P.s. be grateful Ella doesn't like juice-it has the nutritional umpf of soda with a kick of vitamin C.

aquabatgirl said...

james would be giving a high five right now for not drinking juice! your kids don't need it, and this from the pediatric dentist. save the baby teeth and adult ones too :)
i totally understand naptime. kylie only takes a nap now half the time but even if she doesn't have a nap she still has to have a rest time

Pratt Family said...

I am finally seeing the relief and joy of naptime. Logan for the past week or so has finally decided it's okay to sleep longer than 30 mins. I feel like a new person...I actually have alone time and can get so much done.

Reading all about your bad morning..definitely doesn't excite me any...to thinks it's only going to get worse for me but I've been having days where I have no patience and I look back and feel so horrible. I"m glad so many other moms have those days too! We need to talk!!!

 
Clicky Web Analytics