Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Potty Training

Ugh...potty training. I always knew this day would come and I've been dreading it for a while now.  I've heard all the stuff about how you can't push a child into it and that they have to be ready on their own time.  But that's the problem...how does a two year old know? Are they just going to say "Mom, you know I'm really tired of sitting in my own urine/feces. Would you mind teaching me to use the toilet?"  So I've been looking for signs.  It all started a couple months ago when Ella saw her little friend Hope using the potty and suddenly she wanted a turn to sit on the potty. I got all excited because every time I had tried to even sit her on the toilet, she wigged out and would refuse to. I guess I can see how it would seem a little scary.  Anyway, she got right on the potty after she saw Hope do it and has asked me several times since then to sit on the potty. Trouble is she doesn't know what to do when she's there.  I tell her "Okay, go pee pee now" and she looks at me like "How?"  I was talking to my mom about it and she said that she can remember her mom bringing the little potty out in front of the TV and sitting there for a long time until something happened.  I figured I can't move our toilet but I can bring a TV to the toilet.  So this is what we did last week:

Ella sat like this for about an hour and NOTHING! In fact now she thinks this is a new fun way to watch a show.  She now asks to watch Tinkerbell on the potty. I took her off after an hour cuz she had little red marks on her buns.
I've tried letting her pick out her favorites panties at the store (Ariel by the way) but when we put those on her, even though I sound like a broken record asking her "Do you have to go potty?", she just pees in them.
I've also tried motivating her with treats. The problem is that she takes after her dad and doesn't really get too excited about food. I don't get that.
I've tried letting her just be naked from the waist down but she either holds it until nap time when I put a diaper on her or she sneaks off to a quiet corner pees like a doggie.  Ryan said that I should rub her nose in it and see if that works. (In case the sarcasm doesn't translate in writing, he was just kidding.)
What do I do???  I really feel like if she could just somehow understand the concept of how to "release" her pee pee on the toilet (is that too graphic?) then we would be in business. I need help.  With another little one coming in a couple months, I just really don't want to buy two sizes of diapers.  I know that's a little selfish on my part but that's just me being honest.

1 comment:

The Wright Fam said...

Good luck!! If you get any good advice pass it our way...we still have to attempt the potty training milestone ourselves with Kenzi!

 
Clicky Web Analytics